Saturday, September 29, 2007

September 24: Naarden

This is the fourth post.
Post 1: Flying To Amsterdam
Post 2: The First Morning
Post 3: Going To The Lake


This was the beginning of my second full day in Holland, a Monday. The mother, Lieselot, has Mondays off from work, so I don't have to stick around if I don't want to.

That morning, I decided to go off exploring. My destination was the area of Naarden. Naarden used to be a neighbouring town to Bussum, but they have recently grown into each other, so they are effectively one and the same now.


View Larger Map

The heart of Naarden is an area that was built as a fort about 400 years ago. It's seperated off by a large moat and shaped as a star.



There are many underground areas that served as barracks and are now the sites of culture centers and museums. I never went into any of these areas, but I spent about an hour just wandering through the streets.


Many people seem to live there now, but the buildings are very old and well-preserved.














In the middle of the town is a huge old church. The size of the church in relation to the other buildings is remarkable; it's an absolutely dominant building. I've found this to be true in many towns in the area.






No comments: